Saturday, November 19, 2011

Culture Shock!

Well, we're now in Cairns, Australia and trying to adjust to life back in the Western world...it's taking a bit of getting used to I must say after 6 months of 'making do' with very little to the full onslaught of everything at your fingertips.  It's a lightspeed lesson in the realities to two very different cultures and ways of living and to be honest I'm not sure which one is better.  Having said that I am thoroughly enjoying HIGH SPEED INTERNET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We flew from Denpasar to Darwin on Friday.  Air Asia decided two weeks ago to bring our flight forward 14 hours (God bless them - not!) and so not only did they rob us of one more day with Rick and Lita but we then had an overnight stay in Darwin because our original connecting flight to Cairns was then the next day...you decide to use the cheapie airlines to save money and then it ends up costing you more (I can't really type the names I called them over this one!).

Anyway we landed in Darwin and booked into a hotel and paid for the shuttle there and back all at the airport which was nice and easy.  Sucked in a big breath of air when we had to pay $130 for a bed and transport for one night which would have lasted 5 days in Bali...

We had a lovely dinner at an Irish Pub in town and must say it was heaven to eat good fish (Baramundi) and fresh salad washed down with a lovely glass of Kilkenny...sitting there watching the comings and goings of mostly young people, music playing and cars whizzing past was sensory overload on our first night back in civilisation...then time to pay the bill ($75, which would have fed us 4 days in Bali) another shock as to the cost of western living...OMG get me outta here!!

Another early start (5.15am) to catch our flight to Cairns and now we are slowly thawing out to the reality of living back in our own culture...

It's going to take a while I think.  Everything is at our fingertips, everything is easy, everthing is on our doorstep, even getting used to the size of our houses is strange, we use so much space and still want more...I think of where Yogi and his family live and most of the other Balinese and it just does my head in to compare...so best I don't.

I'm missing him and the other children terribly and the life I've been blessed to live for the last 6 months...I'm going through a bit of a grieving process I think as I try to adjust back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment