Thursday, October 20, 2011

Melting Moments...

My wonderful retreat week is over – too soon.  I’ve loved being at Kumara Sakti again, it’s a special place.  I’ve loved the massages, I’ve loved the food, I’ve loved the people – the staff and retreat participants, I’ve loved the time for me.  It’s been a special week in so many ways.  I’m now set to write my story,  I know how to go about it now.  I’m ready to start, I have started.

The people I’ve met on this retreat are amazing and I hope to cross paths with some of them again.
Even though I was one of two participants who hadn’t really written before, with most of the others being well into the groove of writing and two having published works out there, I never once felt out of my depth.  The richness of the teaching, the company of wonderful caring people and the beautiful surroundings I was in, have made this a very special week in my life and one I have grown and opened from.  The rich inner journey continues.
My time here is Bali is quickly coming to a close, the life I’ve been living for the past five months, so far removed from the one left in New Zealand.  I’m surrounded by life here, I’m surrounded by spirit, my heart has never felt more full and open.  







On my final day at Kumara Sakti I wrote:  I’m sitting here on my terrace in Ubud looking out at the emerald green rice fields.  Watching the rice farmer walking by in the distance.  Listening to the hollow tinker of the
rice chime as it moves in the breeze to scare the birds away.  The little squirrels are scampering up and down the trees and branches.  Every now and again there is a crash as one goes tumbling to the ground metres below, only to reappear minutes later on the climb to the top again.  The cycle of life, so far removed from my own.  I feel alive here.  I have no future.  I have no past.  I'm in my life, living it day by day.


  
 
Ganesh - remover of obstacles



There was an earthquake while I was at the retreat.  It's very disconcerting to be in another country when there's an earthquake as you aren't in familiar surroundings and don't automatically know the safest place to go.  We were sitting inside a pavilion type building with a block back wall having a discussion when it struck.  We sat there for maybe 30 seconds (it felt longer) and wondered how much bigger it was going to get. Jeramiah said "do you think we should move" and we all said "yes!".  Not that there was actually anywhere safer to go but we were in a building at the bottom of the property, above the swimming pool and that was above a long drop to the river.  The swimming pool was swishing over the side like a mini tsunami so we moved to the path and steps to the side of the building.  This didn't feel any safer as all the buildings above and beside us were stone, brick and mortar!  I must say my heart was racing and I was silently praying it wouldn't get any bigger as there just wasn't anywhere to go!  It was centered offshore at 6.8 magnitude but was around 6.0 in Ubud.  There were reports of some damage to buildings in town but everything where we were was fine.

Brent had a wonderful time on Bunaken Island and had 14 dives in 5 days.  He's especially proud of himself because he can now stay down 70 minutes and still have air left and he's been to 27 metres.  He saw heaps of fabulous fish, sea horses, turtles, sharks so was pretty wrapped with his week.

We are now back in Tulamben/Tianyar.  Actually we are now living in Rubia which is a small village about 5 minutes North of Tulamben in Jeff and Dawn's old house (they recently sold it and moved into their new one and the new owner doesn't come over until December).  We can walk to the market to get our fruit and veg now, although we have to take the motorbike to Tulamben if we want anything there or to eat out as it's too far to walk.

Since being back, we are really noticing the temperature here, we are literally melting!  It's so hot and humid even the locals are feeling it.  You can be standing making a coffee, brushing your teeth or just sitting and you feel the droplets of sweat running down your back.  My armpits feel like lakes and I'm continually mopping my face.  Sounds gross doesn't it!  Apparently it gets hotter here in October and then the rains start November/December. 

We were back at the Yayasan on Tuesday.  On the way there we stopped outside Yogi’s school and they were having morning break.  Some young boys were peering over the block fence at us and saying hello, we asked for Yogi so someone went and got him.  He came running out down the footpath to us with a huge smile from ear to ear.  He ran straight into my arms and held on tight, eyes closed, tears coming.  I held him tight and whispered in his ear, he whispered back.  It was a melting heart moment and I realised how much we have come to mean to each other.

The children at the Yayasan were pleased to see us.  They had a Mother and Daughter from England come and volunteer for three days while we were away.  It would have been nice for them to have some new teaching faces.

We are winding down the teaching now, having a bit more fun instead of slaving away.  I'm just going back over things I've already taught, just to cement it into their brains.  They have come so far, it's amazing and I don't want them to lose it all.  I will probably email them some lessons from time to time from NZ just to keep them onto it!

We are having Yogi and Budhi to stay for one last time on Saturday.  We will take them out for dinner and on Sunday go to Tirta Gangga, which are beautiful natural pools set in an old Palace property about 40 minutes away...

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you are safe after the large earthquake.

    The challenge is now to bring living in the moment back to the busyness and difference of life in NZ.

    I'll look forward to reading your story.....the only way to be a writer is to write....they tell me!!!

    ReplyDelete